Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Saying goodbye...


This picture was taken the last time I saw my Grandad in December. He passed away on Saturday at the age of 93. It was not a huge surprise but no matter how you mentally prepare yourself, the news of a loved one's death still is a sharp blow, making a deep wound.
As we are making plans to return to Texas to be with family, to attend his funeral, and to help my parents, I am hit with waves of emotion. (Not hard to imagine if you know me at all - I am a big crybaby regardless.)
I found great truth tonight reading 1 Corinthians 15 regarding the power of Christ's own resurrection and the promise of ours one day as believers. If we believe this to be true, we are movtivated to "stop sinning" (vs 34) and to look forward to the day when we can say "O Death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting?" (vs 55).
Thankfully, I live with the hope (and 100% reality) of heaven but I also live each day serving my God who gives me this hope. Without this hope, what would be the point? Verse 19 says it well: "If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied."
So to respond to the passing of this well-loved man, I look to my God, step out in service for His glory and rejoice in the hope of a someday glorious reunion.

7 comments:

The Labontes said...

So sorry for your loss, but I am so glad that we do have the hope you speak of. Take care of yourself and your family.
Kristy
(waiting for Mason Probol)

Peter and Nancy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandad. What a legacy he's left for his family -- you are a third generation follower of Jesus. God bless you as you travel, and begin to greive.
-- Nancy

ColleenC said...

So sorry to hear of the loss you and your family are suffering. Thinking of you!

Amy said...

I am so sorry Sara. I felt the same way when I lost my grandmother. Peace and grace be with you during this time.

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Sara, I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that you will be reunited with him someday in heaven. I lost my dad 16 years ago and the hope of seeing him again lessens the pain a bit. May the Lord comfort you during this time of loss.

April

coffeegirl said...

Sara,
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my dad 10 years ago this May and it brings me great comfort to know I will one day see him again in heaven as you spoke of about your grandfather. Praying for you and your family.
Love,
Melissa

jasonliberty said...

Sara,
I'm so sorry about your Grandad! I'll be praying for you through this time! When I lost my Grandpa it really was a blessing to feel everyone's prayers.

Liberty