Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Content

Content. My word for 2011. From dictionary.com, it is defined as "satisfied with what one is or has, not wanting more or anything else."

Is that a New Year's challenge or what? :)


I want to be content with my family. We have decided not to pursue foster adoption this year after all but still have the desire in our hearts. It was very disappointing to come to this decision but He is faithful to bring peace when we were willing to accept. So now, contentment will be 1)trusting God's timing for our family through it all and 2) being satisfied with where we are now and not worrying about where we might be someday.


I want to be content with my circumstances. With no major life altering events immediately ahead (none that we can see, only God knows), I feel a calm about the next 12 months. And a desire to make each day count, to be a better steward of my day to day responsibilities and relationships. And if a major life altering event does show up, I feel ready to take it on.


I want to be content in serving others. I want to look for more behind the scenes service opportunities, satisfied in obedience, not wanting more in return.

Clinging to this verse as I strive for contentment: Proverbs 16:9 "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."

7 comments:

Laura said...

That is beautiful. We went through this weird time after the adoption of Joseph like we had to have something "BIG" in the works. It's okay to let the dust settle. In fact, I think it is wise and healthy to wait for that peace from the Lord before moving forward in any decision. I'm not a "resolution" maker, but I may join you in your endeavor to pursue contentment this year! Thanks! Laura

Peter and Nancy said...

That word is so vital, but can get away from me so quickly. I think I've been much more content since being in India and seeing firsthand how many simple things I used to take for granted . . . as simple as clean drinking water.

I'm sorry to hear that your dreams of fostering are out of the picture for now -- but your attitude is so trusting and wonderful.
Nancy

Reading Widely said...

I'm glad you have peace about the decision but also know how hard it can be for a mama-heart to realize that what's best for the family is "not now, but maybe later". Praying you have a great year as you focus on your current family.

Fenwick 5 said...

Sara,This is so odd,and yet true. I was talking to my dad today,and he was saying how we need to be content in everything.:)
So right,now I read your blog and well... CONTENT again.
No mistake,but divinely spoken to,I believe. This is I have to say is the best resolution I have read thus far.:) Keep it up!! Gidget

Traci said...

Good counsel, Sara. Thank you.

Jennifer Mayo said...

I'm really glad you've been writing on your blog more! Great post! I'm sorry the adoption plans have been postponed for now.

Candice said...

I am so sorry that you have been facing this struggle this past year. I am praying with you that our Lord will give you His peace this year and that He will speak His peace into Cole's precious little life.

Candice