Thursday, October 9, 2008

Moving along

Yeah! We're up another notch on our waiting list! Every move makes it more real and more exciting! It's been great to see babes matched with their families recently - what a blessing to witness God's divine intervention, working on both sides of the world to intertwine lives that otherwise would never have crossed paths.

I also have been told that the majority of the families in front of us are waiting to be blessed with the addition of a little girl so maybe that will mean a shorter wait for us since we are hoping to add another boy to our family! All in His timing, of course, but Nate is getting "big" fast and my hands & arms are itching for a new little one to snuggle!

Many of my friends are newly pregnant -- I will never understand how pregnancy seems to sweep across like an epidemic :) -- and it has been interesting and humbling for me to watch as they are showered daily with questions of "How are you feeling? Will you find out what you're having?" and all the other fun & exciting thoughts that go along with a pregnancy. I feel blessed that I experienced the joy of that attention & time period two times for myself.

But now being "paper pregnant", I catch myself feeling sorry for myself because I don't have the baby bump or the excuse to buy new maternity clothes or to radiate that pregnancy glow. My dearest friends who are joining us on this journey through prayer & support encourage me in a similar way "How is the waiting? Have you thought any more about names?" for which I am so grateful. And the Lord has reminded me gently and is using my current state of mind to teach me a familiar lesson - it is not about me! We are not adopting for us; we are adopting in obedience to His Word and in hopes of glorifying Him through that obedience. Of course the blessings that will abound from this one act will be plentiful someday (both here and in heaven) and I look forward to those. In the meantime, I will wake up each day and ask again for God to put me aside and to honor Him and others first.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yay for movement - hopefully you will get that call sooner than you think! I also like your positive way of reflecting on your adoption! Sometimes I can feel sorry for myself as pregnant women do get a lot of attention. You are right - it is not about me!

The Deming Four said...

Hi Drinkard Family! Thanks for visiting our blog! It is so good to hear from you. Are you guys still in Euless?
Love,
Melissa Deming

Peter and Nancy said...

I know what you mean about the paper pregnancy thing. It was always weird to answer the question "how many children do you have?" after our referral. We would say three, of course!! But other moms at school only saw me with two . . . and they often seemed to focus on the expense and the long wait (we were plenty aware of both!). Know that all your bloggy friends are celebrating your paper pregnancy, and you ARE glowing!
-- Nancy (Anya Rashi's mama)