Monday, November 10, 2008

Wake Up Call

Yesterday the sermon we were blessed to hear was about the benefits of knowing God. Truly knowing who He is and being blessed by His attributes and character as opposed to knowing Him in a way that fits our thinking and logic and missing out on the blessings of His true nature! It really spoke to my heart and one thing that resonated with me was God's immutability, or the fact that He never changes. It was specifically said that our lives could change at 3 o'clock that afternoon and what peace & hope there is in the fact that God is there, never changing, always knowing.

Well, for us it wasn't 3 o'clock, it was closer to 8. Lucy fell off the couch onto the corner of the coffee table. Even now, my heart is still beating faster than it should. There was blood everwhere, all over Mark, all over me, all over the bathroom hand towel I grabbed on the way out the door. Mark sped us to the ER while I held Lucy in the backseat. I was doing okay as long as I didn't look at her head (it was the deepest, widest hole right between her eyes) but when she started fading like she was going to fall asleep, I (in my ignorant medical knowledge) began to panic thinking sleep was bad after a head wound - which in some cases it is but not in this one. So I was literally shouting at her to keep her eyes open and to talk to me as Mark is running red lights here and there and 10 minutes to get to the hospital is starting to feel like 10 hours.

2 hours later and after a plastic surgeon masterfully sewed her up, we were on our way home. My beautiful girl is still beautiful but will have a new feature to her delicate face. I know it will fade in time and one day she can wear Arbonne makeup :), but I just hate the thoughts of "what if" and I "should have done this". Of course, I am so grateful that in the end it turned out to be a cosmetic issue, not a life threatening one but in the emotions of the moment, my sinful mind wandered and went down paths no parent likes to ever think about.

In the end, I am thankful for the reminders God taught me in church that morning. That He is faithful, He is here, He never changes. I can not imagine going through something like that or something worse without Him.

P.S. I'll spare you the pictures for now. Maybe someday I can post before and after pictures when the scar has faded. :)

4 comments:

ColleenC said...

Oh no! Those moments are the worst- so scary! But I'm glad she's okay and hey scars give character (this coming from an ex-tomboy who has quite a few : )

The Pfeiffer Family said...

WOW!! What a scary moment for you and your family. I am so happy to hear that she is okay. It is wonderful to know that God is always there for us in the good, bad, and scary times of our lives.

April :-)

Peter and Nancy said...

Oooh . . . those are such heart-lurching moments. I'm glad she's all stitched up, and the ordeal is over!
-- Nancy

Amy said...

Oh Wow! Bless her (and your) heart! I know that must have been so scary! I am so glad that God's hand of protection was on her. I hope she feels better and that it heals with no major scarring!