Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Unexpected Blessings

Today was Day Three of 2nd grade for Lucy and early morning/routine for the rest of us. Wow - what an adjustment but honestly, it's one that is very welcome. We are out the door at 7:30 to drop her off, home to do chores and then by 8:30, Cole is asking for lunch. :) We get done with our chores and errands so early in the day now, it feels weird to eat lunch at 11 and have naps by 12. But we are so much more productive and I am loving that!
Each school day brings home a better report from my girl and I feel confident that in no time she will love it as much as she did Oak Brook. She is not a morning person and not one for change (but then again, who is?) so it wasn't a huge shock that she would be so prickly after the first couple of days.
Yesterday we got home and saw a little girl and her mom going into the next door house. We knew people had just moved in last week but hadn't a chance to go over there yet. Lucy said right away, "I think she is in my class!' Sure enough, we knocked on the door and now Lucy has a built in playmate. In fact, she is over here now and I am enjoying hearing giggles come from her room while they play.
The boys and I went up to the elementary school today to see about special ed testing. After a preliminary meeting, it was determined that Nate would not qualify for speech (although the teacher wanted him to after spending time with my sweet boy). Cole will go back for further testing next week but I have to say, I was so impressed with everything. The teachers, the classrooms, their efficiency (not what I was expecting at all). We'll see how it progresses but I'm very excited my little one could really get some needs met and soon!
We have celebrated all these fun surprises with a few trips to Happy Hour at Sonic for some 50 cent slushies (which also really help us deal with the miserable heat). I didn't expect God to bless us in such a way while we were living here and am thankful He has. I love how He is so faithful to remind us in small ways how much He cares.

1 comment:

Julie & Patrick said...

How wonderful that Lucy has a new friend and that Nate and Cole have promising school days ahead too. Glad to hear that you are settling in a bit more with each post.

Julie