Wednesday, August 12, 2009

2 months

Cole came home with us two months ago and although I'm not ready to begin the regular happy days of blogging yet, I did want to document this day. Yes, it's the 2 month anniversary of when we stepped off that plane and began this new adventure as a family of 5 but today is also the first day we had no screaming (from either Cole or me!). The first day where we enjoyed ourselves from morning to night! And although he did start to whine when I stood up once to put away laundry, something in me handled it differently.

I confessed openly recently that I have been shown that so much of my struggles this summer were not about Cole after all. Not about a grumpy, whiny child who would not be happy but instead, these trials and intense moments of frustration have been about me! In my arrogance, my expectations for having a 3rd child were extremely inaccurate and having thought myself to be a good mother, capable and patient, I now see my weaknesses overwhelming what little strengths I have.

But I can rejoice in this! 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 shows me that in my repentance & submission, I am now in a place of victory, ready to move forward in service of this adorable little boy who gives nothing in return.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."


The difference in me today was submission to the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to empower me to be the mother He has asked me to be! Now each day is going to be another opportunity to submit or to struggle and there may be days when I submit and still struggle. But I have hope again and that is power in itself.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Happy 2 Months! Thanks for sharing this. Simeon and I had a bad day and I realized that a lot of it had to do with what God was trying to teach me. I sure need to walk in those fruits. I should quit blaming him. Thanks for reiterating that :)

Fenwick 5 said...

I second that,thanks for sharing this,I have been struggling too with different things,and many tasks! I know that I am weak in areas,thank goodness God makes me strong in those weak times.HAPPY 2 MONTHS!! Today is month fourteen for us in this waiting!! Gidget

The Labontes said...

What a huge turning point! I can't wait to see how your family progresses and hapiness prevails more often than not.
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing-I really needed to hear that today myself!!!

Praying for you!

Traci said...

What an excellent post! Thank you for sharing so much of what you & your family are going through. It is so helpful to me. I'm sure this will be a blog entry that I will return to. :)

Anonymous said...

Answered prayer! Thank you, Lord! xoxoxo Nan

Peter and Nancy said...

Nothing has exposed my own selfishness (about time, especially) like being a mother has. You have lots of company here in the "trenches," and I'm so happy to hear that God is working in your life -- it's a good reminder of how I need Him to work in mine.
Hugs,
Nancy

ColleenC said...

Just wanted to say that I am glad it's turning a bit. I kept meaning to write to you that even if it's difficult and it takes awhile, it WILL change and get better! We too have good days and bad days and your point about Mama's attitude being huge is a great one! I know that on the days I'm tired or frustrated everyone is worse. We have different issues but still I totally sympathize and you're doing GREAT, you're a great Mama!!!!

SarahinOK said...

So true! I appreciate your openness and willingness to be transparent. I pray the next two months are even more refreshing and eye opening, except without all the frustration! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the timely reminder and encouragement!! I needed to be reminded not to do things in my own strength
Blessings!
Love, jodi Richardson