Friday, July 3, 2009

One Step Forward...

...a million steps back! No, things aren't too bad. We were doing so well and I even managed to take all three kids by myself on a quick errand but we've had a major setback. That nasty lice has returned and it's been a huge pain!! I found it in Lucy's hair earlier this week and was so worried it would have to be cut. She was very patient though as I spent 4 hours combing through every last strand. Thankfully, the boys took great naps that day so I could devote myself to that unpleasant task.

And yuk of all yuk, it showed up in my hair as well. Trying to treat yourself for lice is almost impossible so I have a lot of doubt that I was successful. So I've been doing tons of laundry, bagging up all the stuffed animals, etc and warning those we have seen recently to watch out. Meanwhile, there is a beautiful summer passing us by while we stay home and wait out this nastiness.

But even in all of that...there is purpose and an opportunity to glorify God. It's not the way I would have chosen to spend my time but I can choose to obey and do what He's asked me to do. In this instance, caring for my children requires gross lice shampoo, tedious combing, staying home alone and tons of laundry. Whew.

Meanwhile, we are eager because next week we take Cole to Children's Hospital for their monthly International Adoption Clinic. He has not been to the doctor since we've been home so I'm anxious to hear some professional opinions and advice on his development and growth. I finally found a pair of shorts to fit my little guy and they are size 0-3 months! I keep telling him at mealtime that he needs to eat because there are starving children in the world and he was one of them! He's not convinced though. :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July!

9 comments:

Kristi W. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your lice issue!!! We had a scabies issue when we brought Daya home and that was NOT fun. I'm sure lice is even worse. Hang in there!!! I sure hope and pray that you were successful in getting rid of them. :)

Love your honesty on the blog!!!

~Kristi

Fenwick 5 said...

Maybe that LICE is gone now!! You need to celebrate when u get rid of them!!!:) That is cute how u say that Cole is not convinced!! Have a great 4th of July:) Gidget

The Pfeiffer Family said...

So sorry you are having to deal with the lice issue. What a blessing that you didn't have to cut Lucy's hair. You are such a great mom to devote your time to Lucy...I am sure she is grateful. I hope the lice leaves soon and never comes back.

I am glad you will be able to have Cole evaluated and hopefully get some advice to help your little guy put on some weight. Thanks for keeping us updated and being honest about some of the not so great things and stuggles of adoption. Hang in there.

April :-)

A.M. said...

okay, so headlice is not so fun, but going to Nan and Pops in 3 weeks is! I can't wait to see you and the kids!

Peter and Nancy said...

Oh man!! A friend of mine had the same "return of the lice" problem . . . but her kids caught them at school. I hope this is the final round -- that's a lot of extra work for you when you're trying to get to know your son.

Hugs to you!
Nancy

The Labontes said...

It's a hefty battle you are waging! Not fun, but a chance for some one on one time with Lucy :)

I hope there is good news from the adoption clinic!
Kristy

Julie & Patrick said...

Those nasty lice seem to unfortunately like some more than others...hope you've got it nipped in the bud.

If nothing else, your house and children will be clean and your laundry done :)

Julie R

ColleenC said...

Ugh. Been thinking of you this week!! I have no idea how we escaped the lice- our doctor says there are signs that she had it (probably right before we picked her up she had a mild case that somehow resolved itself!) Hope all is well this week!

Amy said...

Yikes - that does sound like no fun! Hope they are gone for good now and you get to start venturing out more -it does help :)