Monday, June 8, 2009

How we met Cole

Thanks so much everyone for your sweet words of encouragement. I wish we were home right now with all of you! I thought I'd try to record our adventure yesterday (since Cole is napping now). What an experience!

We were supposed to arrive between 2:30-3 but our driver got us there so fast that we were there well before 2 o'clock. Everyone was happy to greet us but you could tell we threw things in a frenzy by coming so early! So things didn't go anything like I expected. Mark went down to tell the driver how long we would be and I was immediately ushered into the room with the babies. It was so much smaller than I imagined. There were about 3 big cribs with multiple babies and then 6 or 7 smaller cribs with one baby each. Although the conditions appeared bleak, the atmosphere and mood in the room was so happy and peaceful. There were a few ayahs (nannys) in the corner and I figured they had Cole - changing his clothes and brushing his hair super fast. So I focused on all the little ones around me - it was so neat to know most of them through our agency and to be able to love on them and give them the hope that their families are coming soon.

I have to say again that the babies were so content and so very loved. I could have stayed there for hours (which actually we did!) Mark came in and they brought Cole over to us. He looked exactly as I thought he would (thanks to so many pictures we've been given from other families) and he just stared at me with those big eyes. He had on a basketball jersey, pink flower pants and a bib that said "Thank Heaven for Little Girls." :) :)

The ayah handed him to me and before I could get even one snuggle, his lip went out and he wailed so loud! So I handed him back to her and of course he immediately was fine. :) The ayah would point to me and say "Mommy" and to Mark and say "Papa" - it was so meaningful, I can't explain. They seemed as excited as we were to be getting Cole that day. Next she handed him to Mark and he got the same reaction! So she took him back and we decided to take pictures of all the babies while the ayah rocked him to sleep.

I had so much fun taking pictures and talking to the little ones. They were so responsive and so full of personality. Some smiled wide and others cried whenever I looked at them! The ayahs were so helpful and just absolutely adored each child. When we were done I got to hold Cole again since he was sleeping and couldn't protest. The babies' doctor was there and answered all of my questions about him giving us such details as to sleep and diet. Ms. Roy, the director of the children's home came to get us to do paperwork so Cole went back to the ayah. We went to Ms. Roy's office and did more paperwork and she presented us with this sweet handmade book all about Cole from his perspective. I lost control then because the last page had a picture of our family and mentioned that even though he was sad to leave his friends and caregivers that he was more excited to be with his mom, dad, brother & sister. (Hopefully someday that will actually be true - ha!)

After paperwork, I went to another room to see some of the newer babies - all under 4 months old I would say. So tiny but so content. Then it was time to go. It was hard to say goodbye - the ayah who cared for Cole had such a hard time and finally just rushed into the other room. And then there we were going down the steep, gray steps carrying this little boy! He was so stunned that he wasn't crying at this point and then the lull of the car kept him content for most of the ride. We stopped to get his visa pictures which he did not enjoy and then back to the hotel. He then fell asleep on the bed around 4:30 pm. We kept expecting him to wake up and ordered room service but he never did! Slept until after 5 am this morning. Not too many tears today but no smiles either. He took a bottle wonderfully though isn't showing too much interest in anything else. He is asleep again now - poor thing must be so over stimulated that it's easier to escape to his dreams.

We still have a journey ahead of us before we get home and settled. But we have our son and continue to praise our God for this precious gift.




16 comments:

ColleenC said...

Great story! Funny how all of our stories have similarities but are sooo different! I wonder if you had our driver (who didn't know where he was going then but probably does now! Rabinder I think his name was). How wonderful to have your boy and to be into the next part of your journey as a family!

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful there is such love at the orphanage for these little children! What a wonderful gift of his own little Baby book. So very anxious to see all of you SOON! Love, Mama

theheartofachild said...

Congratulations! So exciting to see pictures of him in your arms!
Jenny

Peter and Nancy said...

We had a very similar experience to yours -- Anya Rashi was definitely not as happy to meet us as we were to meet her! And one of her ayahs was tearing up as we thanked them and said goodbye. The baby home is truly a special place.

I hope you enjoy each little glimpse of Cole learning to trust you, and letting his personality shine.
Hugs,
Nancy
P.S. I totally lost it when I saw the photo of our house -- her new home -- in the baby book!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful gifts to these babies the ayahs are! What a good start in life they've given the babies, giving them what love and security they can, in preparation for them ultimately being taken home to loving homes and families. How hard it must be for them to part with the children, yet what joy it also must give them to know how much these wee ones are going to be loved by folks like you. And what a wonderful idea the baby books are! I'm not surprised you lost control when you came to the last page. And yes, his love for you will become a reality. This is just all so strange for him, coming away from all he's ever known, but he will respond to your love and tenderness for him. Just be patient and don't despair. Remember, God's chosen to put Cole into your family, and God doesn't make mistakes. That smile will come :-) Carrie

The Labontes said...

Amazing. I can't wait to read along as Cole begins to trust you, and his personality comes shining through!
Kristy

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

Certainly a blessing!!!

The kiddos are all so well cared for by the Ayahs! Thanks for sharing your journey. It makes the wait sooo much easier!

-Maggie

Fenwick 5 said...

Sara,What a amazing post and asI was reading this,I felt like I was acutally there. He is so cute.It sounds like this orhanage is filled with love,that is so great. I hope you all have a great day today.:)Gidget
P.S. After you seen all those babies in the newborn room,it gives me more hope,thanks for including this in your story.:)

Staci said...

Enjoyed reading about your first day with Cole. Just to make you feel better, Ellie didn't care much for her new parents on the first day either. It's fun now to show her our first, family picture where she's screaming and reaching for her nanny. When she talks about her adoption day, she'll tell people "I didn't like my mommy and daddy very much at first in China, but now I love them."

Anonymous said...

It is so great to hear the love the ayas have for the children, for the only place Cole has ever known to be a happy one. Congrats on finally having your little one with you! I will continue to pray for the rest of this whirwind adventure! I can't wait to meet him and see All of you together!!!
Love and prayers,
Jessica

Todd and Michele said...

What a great memory! So many details to look back on. We are so happy for your family and are enjoying following this journey with you. Congratulations again

Michele

Julie & Patrick said...

Every time I hear a story of a child be united with their parents it takes me right back to that day! Thanks for sharing your special day. How wonderful that you met Dr. Butta and got to spend time with all the other little ones. My heart aches for the poor ayahs who become so attached and then have to watch these babies leave.I know they are happy for it, but they are truly remarkable women. I hope that the adjustments come easy for all of you. How fun to finally love on your boy!!

Julie R

Sarah W said...

Wow! So amazing to read... I'm totally crying and happy for you guys. We'll be praying for the trip.

Anonymous said...

one more thought to consider: This orphanage does an excellent job of bonding with these children (and there are many places who do not) so the transfer, hard as it is, is a good thing because at least these babies know love & how to bond. It won't take long for Cole to know & love his Mama & Daddy & Sister & Brother...now Tucker may take a little longer to get used to :) Counting the days, Mama

Tisra said...

COngratualtions! Day, by day, by day- I feel certain that you will see more of who he is, and he will BLOOM! And not long from now, there will be a day that you know him better than anyone else- better than his nannies, better than any birth family. He is yours, and you are his parents.

Blessings to you,
Tisra
waiting for guardianship of our Indian treasure
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing - I love each story of when a babe is united with their family. Cole will open up day by day and you will see little glimpses of his personality. This is such a huge transition for them. He is a doll and I pray you enjoy the rest of your time in India with him :)