Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Time Warp or Something...

For some reason, time moves soooo slowly over here. Or maybe it's the jet lag! I laid down to take a "nap" Sunday afternoon and although Mark tried to warn me, I slept until 11 pm. Thus, this post at 4:45 am here in India. I could have posted at 1 am but wasn't ready to admit defeat yet on this sleep stuff. I could just say India has made me a morning person but seriously, not so true. It doesn't help that I keep replaying meeting Cole in my mind - very challenging to unwind from that.

We arrived in Kolkata yesterday around lunchtime. The domestic airport in Delhi was so nice and efficient - not what I was expecting. We were the only Westerners around which was interesting. It was amazing to look at this city from the sky as we got ready to land. Buildings upon buildings as far as the eye could see. The Kolkata airport was okay but intimidating. People everywhere and I'm so thankful we arranged our trip through the travel agency who has taken very good care of us.

The drive to the hotel was such an experience. The people here are so beautiful and I sense this contentedness even though conditions are more than rough. But that is the way it is here and people are proud of their country. This hotel we are at is the nicest I have ever seen. I'm a little uncomfortable with the 5-star treatment. I'm not a 5 star kind of gal so I feel like a dork when they bring me a cool towel for refreshment and wait to the side with a silver platter to take it away. I'm sure they must get a kick out of me and my unrefined ways. :)

We ordered room service and I got pepperoni pizza. I know so many of you are not surprised at that. :) Mark ordered mutton and I did try a bite - not too bad. We are supposed to be at the children's home at 3 but can call earlier to see if we can come before that. I sure hope so - we have such limited time here and I would like as much time for Cole to get to know us as possible before we hop back on another plane.

Not much else to report thus far. We miss Lucy & Nate so much but they seem to be having a terrific time with Grandma at home. Mark is hoping the Lakers game will show here live in a few hours but I'm not so sure. We did watch some of the Yankees/Rays game around 2 am I think. :)

Sorry for the disjointedness of this random post. Next post will have Cole in it, I promise!

Here we are before heading to the airport on Friday. Last picture as family of 4!



Mark at our hotel in Delhi just before we left for Kolkata:



View from our hotel here in Kolkata:



4 comments:

ColleenC said...

Haha! You must be staying at the Taj- we had a similar view out our window! I totally agree about the contentedness and the Delhi domestic airport is fab I forgot to mention that in my blog- our guide mentioned it was only a few weeks old! Happy meeting day!!!!

The Pfeiffer Family said...

I enjoyed reading this post. There are so many things that are just different in India. When I was there on a missions trip last August the Delhi airport was under construction...it was crazy..can't wait to see what it looks like now. I can totally relate to the 5 star treatment. I am not one of those girls either...awkward!

I am praying for a wonderful time with Cole tomorrow. I am anxiously awaiting picture of Cole in your arms.

April :-)

Peter and Nancy said...

We had a lot of trouble the first 2 nights with sleep too. Glad you used the time to give the rest of us a blog fix. :o)

You're just hours away from the moment your dreams and prayers become real!! Can't wait for those pictures . . . praying Cole understands immediately how much you already love him!
-- Nancy

Erika said...

Sara,
I am beyond thrilled for you and Mark!! I'm praying for you guys as you will meet Cole very soon! Thanks for letting us share in God's goodness in your lives! :)